The Founding Chair
Dr. Hyun Jin Preston Moon is the founder and leader of several international peace organizations and a recognized and knowledgeable thought leader on Korean reunification and author of the award-winning book, “Korean Dream,” which articulates a vision for reunification based on the aspirations of the Korean people.
Born in Korea to a family active for Korean independence and unification over four generations, Dr. Moon’s background gives him a unique perspective on Korea’s future and its global significance for peace and development. In various capacities, he works across lines of identity including culture, ethnicity, nationality and religion to foster the moral, innovative leadership necessary to resolve the most pressing issues in our world today
“It is the Korean people – in the South, North and diaspora – that are the most important stakeholders in the movement for unification and, therefore, should be the driving force behind the process.” –Dr. Hyun Jin Preston Moon
- Award-winning Author. Moon is the author of the award-winning book, “Korean Dream: A Vision for a Unified Korea.” Available in English, Japanese, and Korean, “Korean Dream” details a one-of-a-kind vision for a peaceful Korean reunification through an empowered, Korean-led movement. “Korean Dream” was recognized as the 2014 Book of the Year by the Republic of Korea Award for Publication, Culture and the Arts, and is included in the Global Analysis section of the Defense Intelligence Agency’s DIA Directors Professional Reading List 2018.
- Chairman of GPF. Moon is the founder and chairman of the Global Peace Foundation (GPF). Established in 2009 and currently active in 24 countries, GPF is an international non-sectarian, non-partisan, nonprofit organization, which promotes an innovative, values-based approach to peace building, guided by the vision of One Family under God.
- Founder of Service for Peace. Moon established the global non-profit, Service For Peace in 2001, which involves volunteers in ongoing community development programs throughout the world. Service for Peace is now active in 27 countries and holds special consultative status with the United Nations.
- Founder of Family Peace Association. Moon founded the Family Peace Association in 2017. FPA engages individuals, families and organizations in building God-centered families as the foundation of a peaceful world.
- Leader of Grassroots Organization. Moon created and leads Action for Korea United (AKU), a grassroots organization engaging thousands of people in an effort to bring his vision for Korean reunification to life by empowering Koreans to achieve peaceful, self-driven unification based on their shared history and aspirations. Today, AKU membership includes over 800 NGOs.
- Chairman of UCI. Moon is the chairman of UCI, a District of Columbia non-profit corporation governed by a self-perpetuating, independent board.
- Harvard and Columbia Educated. Moon graduated from Columbia University where he majored in history and earned an MBA from the Harvard Business School.
- Dr. Moon represented South Korea as a member of the Korean Equestrian Team in the 1988 Summer Olympics in Seoul, South Korea, and 1992 Summer Olympics in Barcelona, Spain.
- Dedicated Husband and Father. Moon is the husband of Junsook Moon of 30 years and the father of nine children. Two of his children are West Point Academy graduates and serve in the U.S. armed forces. Born in 1969 in South Korea, Dr. Moon now lives in the U.S.